"Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:39
The running has been a problem. Actually my willingness to put myself to such exertion is the problem. I have this goal. I'm going to do it. I start, things get tough, physically -- and like the other times in my life, I stop. When it comes to taking care of me, I stop.
Okay, that's said. I've ignored this when it has happened in the past. I just move on and pretend it doesn't hurt that I've let myself down again. But this time pretending doesn't work. This isn't good enough anymore. Something has changed and I'm not going to let myself get away with it.
I'm on this journey -- an exploration of myself. I know that God calls me to love my neighbor as myself. Only recently have I understood the 2nd part of the command. Love myself. I would NEVER treat another as I have treated myself. I would encourage them, comfort them, help them, love them. It's time to do it for myself. It's not too hard (God is working in me to give me the desire and the power to do what pleases him - Phil. 2:13). Each time I will get back up and do it again, even if just for a while. I'll go back to God and praise him for the desire and the power He gives me. It doesn't feel like love yet, but it will.
The running will happen; it's going to take longer than I planned...but this time I'm going to have God as my coach and go according to His timetable. I have a feeling there are a few good things in the training -- after all, loving myself means some good things are included, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment