Friday, January 23, 2009

Moving forward - Radiant with Joy


One of the things I realized over the last few years is that I've become stagnant. I'm not learning new things. I have a close group of friends that I quilt with on a regular basis and I'm learning new quilting things, but I'm not learning things that aren't quilting.

I've worked in the same field for 30 years. The jobs have changed. The technology has changed, but I'm comfortable in the field, with the terminology, with the expectations, and confident in my abilities.

My dog is 11 years old and my cat is 15. I'm comfortable with them and how they act and react. My children are out on their own and are not a daily challenge anymore.

I need to introduce new things into my life. Learning new things can be full of fear and this is where I tend to stop. Fear of putting myself in a position of embarrassment. Fear of not being able to keep up. Fear of being laughed at. Fear that I will lose friends because I'm moving in a direction they aren't.

But I've been leaning on something lately: Philippians 2:13 "For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him".

God is working in me. He is giving me the desire to move forward. Who am I to listen to fear? God is working in me; he will give me the power to do what pleases him. And if it pleases him that I'm kind of funny as I learn these new things, well then so be it. I love the idea of laughing with God.

So I'm trying to learn new things. My list includes things like blogging, running a 5K, ski diving, Facebook, digital photography, taking nature photographs, learning to cross country ski, volunteering, and these are just a few. For the longest time I couldn't come up with anything to put on a list -- the fear made the future seem blank. But not any longer. God is changing that!

I am moving forward with some of this and it's feeling pretty darn good. I've signed up for that first 5K and have started a "training" program (yes, it's pretty funny!). I've started this blog and today invited friends to Facebook. Who knows what else is out there? I am getting excited about it.

Psalm 34:5 says "Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy". That's what I'm looking forward to -- God is working in me, he is changing me. He is giving me the power to do the things that please him and I will be RADIANT with joy! That is day is coming -- slowly, steadily. Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment