"No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
and no mind has imagined
what God has prepared
for those who love him." (1 Cor. 2:9)
and no mind has imagined
what God has prepared
for those who love him." (1 Cor. 2:9)
Yesterday was Ash Wednesday and I heard several conversations about what people were going to give up for Lent. I started thinking that way myself. But then a thought struck me--do I really need to give up something? I know people do this to honor God for the sacrifice He made when sending His Son to die for our sins. But does He really want me to give something up also? He already made the sacrifice. Shouldn't I be thinking about this in a different way than of "giving something up".
Then in my readings today I ran across 1 Corinthians 2:9 and I knew that what I would do was not give something up, but concentrate on the wonderful gift that God has given to me. Salvation through Jesus.
"No eye has seen, no hear has heard...." I honestly have no idea the great things that God has prepared for me, but I know that they are good and that they are wonderful. Maybe if I spend some time these next few weeks considering and imagining what God has in store for me, I will be honoring Him. I will look at things with a positive attitude and be thankful for life. I will stop negative thinking and let myself 'consider the possibilities'.
Maybe this is giving something up, but I really want to say that it is honoring God for His gift to me. That has a much more positive sound, don't you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment