Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Let's be Honest

I have to reset my goals. I've been fooling myself. I have to train longer and work harder in order to be able to finish a 5K. I have been walking, but not as often as I should. I finally added running about 3 weeks ago with the hopes of being able to mostly run a 5K on May 16.

The reality is that I'm far too overweight and under exercised to make that kind of goal in that amount of time. I haven't wanted to admit this. There is a part of me that still doesn't want to say it -- just hide and maybe no one will notice. The new part of me, the part that is taking new steps, knows.

These steps have led me to a place that I'm unfamiliar with. I care about what I think about me. I don't like some of the things that I see and I'm unwilling to continue in the same old habits. I have little practice in being good to myself and pushing myself to do things for myself. So I have been asking a couple of friends who run for help. I joined a walking/running group. I will continue to go out and push myself. This is my goal, my journey. I feel it is a God-given desire and it is good for me.

I'm going to do the 5K on May 16, but it will be mostly walking. I'll do another one later in the summer and it will be more running. I might get the eating thing figured out and lose weight -- that would help. Maybe it is the next step on the journey. I will continue to be honest with myself.

I thank God for the desire to move, to push, to care about myself. I thank God for the fact that I'm seeing differently and wanting to continue.

By the way -- it's spring! and I saw green sprouts on my walk this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment