I've been thinking about change and, in particular, changing how I react when faced with discomfort, fear, anger, etc. My first reaction is to get some food, and not the good stuff. Change means that I will want things that are good for me rather than things that are bad for me. But this scares me--because it is a place that I don't know. How can I feel safe in a place I don't know? Where food is used only for energy and not for relief?
I have been told that as I change I will desire the bad things less and the good things more. I will want things that are good for me. This isn't even comprehensible to me. I don't know a life without cravings and feeling bad because I ate bad things "again". Food has always been the enemy; how could I believe that it is actually good for me? Is there actually such a place?
God tells me that there is. That place is safely in His arms.
As I look at myself for the last 2 years I can see the growth and the change. I am much stronger than I ever used to be. Has He been preparing me for this? I've been reading about the 6th step - "we are entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character" and I realize that I am already thinking differently about food. I am not bad. This food thing that I have is not "me", it is a character defect. I don't know how to say it; but suddenly I can see that this is not about the whole me, it is about a characteristic of me. And I know that characteristics can change.
I used to talk all the time - felt it was my duty to fill in the silent spots. I don't do that anymore. I did not stand up for myself and now I do, and I find it energizing. I was fearful of so many things that I was paralyzed when it came to action regarding my future. I am no longer afraid -- God has me safely in His arms.
So, if I can change some characteristics, I can change others. I can change how I think about and use food. I can allow God to take control and I can pray that my desire for bad foods be replaced by a desire for healthy foods. I can ask for a desire to be healthy and the strength and courage to seek that desire because it honors God. The thoughts I choose to follow now and the desires I ask for now are creating my future. And I do believe that I will find that place where food is not the enemy -- and during the journey I will be safely in God's arms.
Monday, June 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment